03 Nov The Big Brakes Scot Pot Challenge Finalists – Preston Lodge High School
Mock lamb layer – serves 6-8
500g Scotch Lamb mince
4 Large potatoes
2 Garlic cloves
1 Lamb stock cube
200ml Boiling water
15ml Tomato puree
400g Chopped tomatoes
1 tsp Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano
25g Plain flour
50g Scottish cheddar (Orkney)
Salt & Pepper
2tbsp Rapeseed oil (Black & Gold)
- Preheat the oven to 200oc
- Put the oil in a large pot and heat gently.
- Slice the courgette, onion, and carrot and then put in the pot till softened gently.
- Add the mince, tomato puree and chopped tomatoes, using a wooden spoon stir together and break up the lumps of mince against the side of the pan.
- Once the mince is mostly broken down add the herbs, stock cube and boiling water and bring to a simmer for 20mins stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile peel the potatoes and slice them into 5mm thick slices.
- Put the potato slices in a pot of boiling water and par-boil for 5mins, then drain and put aside.
- Grate the cheese.
- For the cheese sauce put the flour, margarine, milk and salt and pepper into a small pot.
- Stir continuously over a low heat until the mixture begins to bubble.
- Turn the heat right down and simmer for 2mins, still stirring, until the sauce thickens slightly. Take the pan off the heat.
- Stir ? of the grated cheese into the sauce.
- To assemble the lasagne put half the Bolognese sauce in the bottom of the dish.
- Then put a layer of potato slices on top of the mince followed by half the cheese sauce.
- Repeat the layers again, finishing with cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Cook in the oven for 20-30mins until bubbling and golden brown on top.